Thursday, November 29, 2012

Unleashed Design Journal (Triggers & Movement)

Triggers

So after I saw the Kickstarter for Through the Breach, I was thinking how awesome the Malifaux game really is. So later in the day I actually got some inspiration in part from thinking about Malifaux. I was working on the Weapons for Unleashed, bashing together ideas, writing stuff down, and all of the sudden, looking at the impale property on the spear, it hit me. Make that a triggered effect.

So here's the idea I'm thinking of, using Unleashed 2d10 system, the triggered effects would happen on a double, including the additional dice rolled during a critical. This could easily make the game more dynamic in  combat, perhaps you trigger a disarm with your rapier, or bellringer with your mace. You hit and there's an extra effect that happens.

So that's a little bit of how one game can affect the design of another.

Movement. 

Yeah, OGL has always had some sticking points with the way I think of the 5 foot rule. 5 foot rule makes perfect sense...for medium creatures with light/no armor. It doesn't make sense for a diminutive creature, it doesn't make sense for a 50 foot giant, and it really doesn't make sense for the monk with the 90 move.

When I did my Xaaon's Monk design during Alpha Pathfinder testing, I corrected the monk, the got an extra 5ft step for every 30 full feet of movement.

Now that I'm doing my own game design I will revisit this sticky point. The manuever will be based on movement and base. A Giant's base is 10ft, thus its step is 10ft. A small creatures base is 2 1/2 feet, so its step will also be 2 1/2 feet. Wait, the squares are all 5ft, how does that work?? Simple, small creatures can move onto the edge or corner of a square, actually anyone can. Watch out for that Colossal Monk, it's Monk's Stride is phenomenal!

Reach will also have something similar. But I'll cover that later.

No comments:

Post a Comment