Thursday, September 8, 2011

Did you win?

So I'm reading the last blog post from Dwarf & Basilisk  wherein he goes on about growing up geek. The shame of being a D&D player...skulking about the shadows of society. The motherly (and in other blogs of I've read....Fatherly), question of "did you win?" comes up often. In my case, my step-dad who suffered from unmedicated bi-polarism, decided he'd give it a go, if I could answer any question he came up with from the books. So in true "HAVE TO WIN" fashion he came up with a question on hearing through a door while wearing a helmet. To which I failed my answer, thus crushing my opportunity of Role-Playing with my father figure. This is the same person who never played against me in Chess after the ONE time I finally beat him. Like I said "HAVE TO WIN".

Anyway...That's one of the reasons I'm doing this blog, these are different times, geek culture has bled into mainstream, just look at how Comic Con has grown, and all the cinematic adaptations of comic books there are (though many are bad adaptations). Famous actors, even sports figures get their geek on and bring it into the open. From Felecia Day, to Vin Diesel, Wil Wheaton and that baseball star. Whether it's WoW or D&D or Everquest, creative minds are expanding the world view of what it is to be famous and a geek.

I want to interview these people, I want to bring their stories out for everyone to read, to inspire kids to not be afraid of being geek. Geeks run the world...screw it, get your geek on in public!!!

I don't want my kids to be embarrassed by what they enjoy doing. Unfortunately they're in Middle School, so there's plenty of jerk kids who will attempt to do so. One kid last year stated "D&D is Gay!". Now the boys are starting the gaming club at school, so they'll be synonymous with geekdom. I just want them to be proud of who they are and what they do.

No comments:

Post a Comment