Sunday, May 5, 2013

Trials and Tribulations of RPG Design

     I absolutely love designing for role-playing games. I have always been someone who toys with the rules of a game; never content to play Rules as Written. I have always scoured every game I own, and every system I've played to come up with different rule interpretations. Sometimes they do not work, other times they work brilliantly.

     I remember I was attempting to implement a weapon speed system based upon the Everquest d20 rules into the Eberron game I was running; tweaked with a time mechanic, so as you acted your next action was based upon the speed change of the weapon speed of your weapon. It worked, it made the game more dynamic with the back and forth and the timing. However tracking the changing initiative was a pain. So while the system worked and it brought a more realistic feel to the combat; the additional headache of tracking time and the extra math wasn't very fun and we dropped the system within two sessions. I did converse with my players about it, and we decided to drop it.

      A Rule EVERYONE loved and that worked very well, was the modified critical damage dice. When you confirmed a critical, that meant you automatically did your normal maximum damage, then rolled the additional damage, because there's nothing worse as a player than confirming a crit, and doing minimal damage.

      When I started looking at the Golemmech design rules for IZ2.0, I noticed that the rules were very cumbersome, with a large amount of math. So I immediately went to work identifying what was slow and changing it. It will be much easier to design a mech. Anyway, back to work on the Golemmech rules.

The best thing about working on RPG stuff, is that I absolutely love it, this is my passion.


No comments:

Post a Comment